Coleen.....

I'm sorry, but I don't have the answers to your questions.

There's been all kinds of negative AND positive claims about
Nutrasweet/aspartame since it first was released many years ago.

My instinct says if Bob lived (albeit without  the luxury of the
this sweetener which so many of us have come to count on) with
diabetes BEFORE the advent of Nutrasweet/asparatane, I guess that
no matter how much he liked it, if you KNOW FOR SURE he could
suffer exacerbation of PD symptoms NOW, you'd prolly never permit
Nutrasweet in your home and you'd try your best to see he didn't
get the sweetener anywhere else ya ate.

Unfortunately, we DON'T know if it's a *may* cause an increase in
PD symptoms, or if it's a *WILL* cause PD symptoms.   We don't
even know it that'd be "PD-LIKE" symptoms or *TRUE*-PD-symptoms."

This is kinda one of life's crap shoots..... a national, even a
world wide game of "Russian roulette," and until or unless there
are several deaths or lotsa folks get SO terribly ill or deformed
(like the Thalidomide babies, whom are now mature adults living
with major physical deformities) from aspartame, it'll go on being
available everywhere.

As for symptoms, well, speaking only for myself, when I used m y
then usual Neutrasweet in two packets (equal to 2 teaspoons of
sugar) of Nutrasweet in my tea (and I have maybe one or two cups
of tea a day if that much) I suffered noticeable short-term memory
loss.

Let me add, this was when aspartame was a brand new product -
maybe 10 years ago. The memory loss was so sudden and so
surprising that that I went to my internist to consult about it,
thinking I'd suddenly come down with Alzheimers  or a like
disease.

Right away the internist asked if I'd recently started eating
foods or beverages containing Neutrasweet on a regular daily
basis.  I mentioned the 2 to 4 packets I had daily ,depending upon
if I drank one or two cups a day, and he told me to immediately
stop use of the Neutrasweet.

I did, and the problem cleared up until about 2 or 3 years ago
when I began to experience occasional short term memory "slow
downs" rather than actual memory loss (a "memory slow down" is my
coined term for not being able to always remember a word with the
lightning fast speed I'd always had)

Sooo, m'dear, this is a RESPONSE to your questions, but there
don't appear to be actual ANSWERS out there in the public venue.
The ultimate decision to continue use of Neutrasweet is ultimately
up to you and Bob.

Barb Mallut