hi all

barb,
here is a 'neatened and lightly edited' version of your sample proclamation;
i think it's a keeper!

so much so, that it will be posted in my website
in the 'pre-mined gold' from the PIEnet archives section
for quick and easy 24/7/52 access

PD AWARENESS AND EDUCATION 'R' US

janet

At 07:26 AM 2000/01/29 -0500, Barb B-K wrote:
>Empowering ourselves through being patient-advocates
>
>Dear listmembers especially "newbies",
>
>I want to share with you the draft of a proposed proclamation that I
>will be faxing to our Governor's office next week.  This is the fourth
>or fifth year I have done this on  behalf of Kansans PWPs.  When I signed
>on the list in 1996, I began to learn ways to be a patient-advocate from
>folks like Jim Cordy and Ivan Suzman -- just to name two.  Hope this draft
>proclamation will help somebody.  And, oh yes, if anyone has a suggestion,
>please let me know!
>
>Best regards,
>
>Barbara Blake-Krebs

<<-------------begin sample of proposed proclamation--------------

STATE OF KANSAS
PROCLAMATION By The GOVERNOR

TO THE PEOPLE OF KANSAS, GREETINGS:

WHEREAS, The health of the people is one true measure of the
State; and

WHEREAS, Parkinson's Disease is a movement disorder that
affects adults of all ages with the average age of onset being
57, although it can appear in children; and

WHEREAS, More individuals suffer from Parkinson's Disease than
multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy and Lou Gehrig's Disease
combined; and

WHEREAS, According to the American Parkinson's Disease Association,
the National Parkinson Foundation, and the National Institutes
of Health(NIH), there are up to approximately 1.5 million people
or more in the United State diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, of
whom an estimated 14,000 or more are in the State of Kansas; and

WHEREAS, The symptoms of Parkinson's Disease - tremor, rigidity,
slowness, poor movement, and difficulty with balance and speaking -
are often mistaken for other conditions, especially in the younger
adult or as a normal part of the aging process; and

WHEREAS, antiparkinsonian drugs can only control some of the symptoms
of Parkinson's Disease for a short period of time, and in many cases
cause disabling side effects; and

WHEREAS, surgical procedures likewise offer only temporary lessening
of certain symptoms and are not a substitute for drugs; and

WHEREAS, the cause(s), prevention(s) or cure(s) of Parkinson's Disease
are still not known; and

WHEREAS, more needed research is expected nationwide over the next
five years as a result of an unprecidented collaboration by members
of all sectors of the Parkinson community and various NIH institutes
especially the National Institute of Neurological Diorders and Stroke
(NINDS), resulting in agenda that will most likely lead to better
treatments and eventually a cure; and

WHEREAS, many scientists believe that breakthroughs in Parkinson's
research are more likely to come first in this class of diseases but
will lead to insights about other classic neurodegenerative diseases,
e.g. Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and ALS; and

WHEREAS, The Neurological Department of the University of Kansas
Medical Center is one major U.S. center conducting ongoing research
to improve treatments and to discover a cure; and

WHEREAS, April *? is the 16th annual symposium held in the Greater
Kansas City area to educate Kansans and others by the Parkinson
Association of Greater Kansas City and the National Parkinson
Foundation; and

WHEREAS, There are at least 16 Parkinson Disease Support Groups
throughout the State of Kansas; and

WHEREAS, April 11 has been proclaimed to be World Parkinson's Day; and

WHEREAS, Increased education and research are needed to help find
more effective treatments and ultimately a cure for Parkinson's
Disease, and to provide more effective support programs and services
to Parkinson's Disease patients, their caregivers and families,

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BILL GRAVES, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF KANSAS,
do hereby proclaim
April, 2000 as

P A R K I N S O N ' S   D I S E A S E   A W A R E N E S S   M O N T H

throughout the State of Kansas, and urge all citizens to extend their
support for those struggling with Parkinson's Disease and the loved
ones trying to help fight the battle.

DONE

At the Capitol in Topeka under the Great Seal of the State
this ___ day of _____, A.D., 2000

Secretary of State

Assistant Secretary of State

---------------end sample of proposed proclamation---------------------->>

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0