Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   William Harshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Lobbying for more neurosurgeons
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Date sent:              Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:28:46 -0500

> Lang and Lozano in their NEJM review article (Oct. 98) pint out that by
> 2040 neurodgenerative diseases will surpass cancer as the number two
> killer the year 2040 is well within the practice life of a person entering
> neurosurgery today.
>
>  I fear the authorities are being typically short-sighted in cutting back
> number of residencies.  What will they do when a real shortage develops?

The "authorities" have never been known for their common sense, but
who am I to question the politicians?  :-)

Seriously, I agree that neurodegenerative illness is becoming more
common; but neurosurgery may not be the area where much of it will
be treated.  Our state of surgery, albeit much better than even 10 years
ago, is still primitive when it comes to a "cellular" level, and I suspect
that the future of the treatment of neurodegenerative disease is in
physiology and biochemistry.  We will still need neurosurgeons, but I
don't think that the ultimate answer to these conditions is surgical.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"