Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Mary Ann Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Ivan's PD/HDV theory
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Date sent:              Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:03:38 -0500

> Wow, Bob.  What happened to the research that revealed that the  Herpes VI
> virus  was the common denominator in all M.S. patients tested?   When was
> that refuted. ---- God bless Mary Ann (who wants to stay current on these
> things :-)

Ivan and Mary Ann,

What about the same virus in the general population?  Seriously,
Listmembers, the history of various agents with multiple sclerosis is
long and frustrating.  I have been through various eras of such, dating
back to the fifties, when I was in medical school and the target was
diabetes and the (early) oral antidiabetic agents (Tolbutamide/Orinase).

MS patients were tried on Orinase, and sure enough, many got better.
What was lost sight of was the fact that most cases of MS are
characterized by remissions and that almost *all* patients with the
disease get better before getting worse again later.

The next set of theories were related to autoimmune phenomena (and
this may have some merit).  Thus, the use of steroids in the treatment
of MS; and again, the same tendency of the illness to get better made
evaluation of the treatment very suspect.

The next big hypothesis was related to the vaccinia virus.  It was
shown, statistically, that the highest worldwide incidence of MS was
in Northern Europe and North America.  It was also noted that, before
World War II, MS was almost unknown in Japan.  Somebody figured
out that Japan did not use the vaccinia (cowpox) virus to immunize
people against smallpox, they rather used an attenuated version of the
smallpox virus (variola) itself.  During World War II, however, Japan
and Germany were allied, and Germany used the vaccinia virus for
smallpox immunization, and the Japanese began using it.  Suddenly,
the incidence of MS in Japan began to increase. Thus, the theory.

In the western world, smallpox is now unknown, and so, people are no
longer being immunized against it (either with vaccinia or variola
virus).  Has the incidence of MS decreased?  No.

I have researched MEDLINE on the alleged relationship between MS
and what Ivan calls Herpes VI (it is actually HHV-6), which is a relative
of the cytomegalovirus which affects people afflicted with HIV to a
much greater degree than the general population.  There have been
some articles (very basic science) which suggest that HHV-6 may be
present in patients with MS, but the virus may be present in many
people who do not have MS.  In addition, people who are actively
infected with HHV-6 do not get MS.  The work is very early.

There is, of course, a possibility that this work may be productive.  It
would be wonderful if it is.  But, judging from the very new nature of
this work; along with the history of other "theories" in multiple
sclerosis, anyone saying, like Ivan, that MS is caused by a
herpesvirus (or that any extrapolation to Parkinson's disease is
justified), is, at best, premature, and really does a disservice to those
of us who try to be scientific in our passing of information to the
Listmembers.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"