Hi Barbara,  Edie and PIEN ,

Thanks for your  exciting reports on Awareness events coming up in Kansas
and Maryland!
In Maine, we are editing last year's  Governor's Proclamation, and are
preparing a joint
House-Senate Resolution. The Maine Parkinson's Society, the APDA support
groups
and all others interested have joined forces.

We , too hope to have information tables, in malls in five 5 cities,
coordinated by our
support group leaders.  Four of my caregivers have formed a group to
create media-
attended events, like a walk and bake sale, a fleamarket or a political
"tea." They
are discussing a motto, such as " Uncover the Cause, Fund the Cure."

    We are developing  a Legislative plan, and have already recruited
House and Senate members, and  PWP's .  We are hoping that by December,
2000,
we can introduce a bill to provide money (Appropriations) to educate and
train the state's
legal and medical communities about PWP's . We are developing a PWP
speakers'
list within the state , who can help provide in-service lectures. or
informal talks, and who can make or narrate  educational videotapes

We also have a hint of  a fund-raising goal, hoping soon enough to
provide better respite support
for caregivers of PWP's, and to open a Maine Parkinson's clinic and
information
Center.  The nearest one is two states away, in Boston, Massachusetts.

We are discussing where, one day,  research funds that may be contributed
could have the greatest impact as quickly as possible to help to uncover
the cause of PD.

We have come a long, long way.

Sincerely,

Ivan Suzman

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:53:48 -0500 "Edie Luther." <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Barbara:
>
>This is great.  I am now composing a letter requesting  our governor
>in
>Maryland
>proclaim APRIL 2000 WORLD PARKINSON DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH.
>
>We are planning one activity each week:  Man a table at a health fair,
>hold a
>bake sale, display and hand out  pamphlets ina mall, and last a
>miniture golf
>outing.
>
>Edie Luther

 Ivan Suzman        50/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)