from Barb:
<<
 Virginia......

 Did I overlook something in your post?  Are the books on tape
 discounted or (dare I say it..) OR are possibly FREE to the
 disabled???

 Also, is this thru the Braille Institute or the like or thru the
 actual COMPANY called "Books on Tape?"

 Thanks !

 Barb Mallut

Barb,

Sorry if I did not make it clear.  The tapes, player and postage are all free
.... I think the library of congress is involved somehow.  They also send
lists of available books you can ask for.  We are in New York State and they
come from Albany.  Much of the work is done by volunteers.  We will be moving
to Minnesotta and they will forward our paperwork to Minnesotta and we will
be doing it there.  They may have different rules ... we'll see.  The tapes
are not necessarily for disabled people but can be.  They are for visually
disabled people ... your doctor has to fill in the form that we got from the
library.

And, yes, many libraries have books on tape that you can play through a
walkman.

Ah .... I found it    It is the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped, The Library of Congress.  A web site is goven,
www.loc.gov/nls.  Ours is, as I said, for New York State from Albany.  I even
e-mail requests ..... the e-mail for New York State is [log in to unmask]
I hope this helps.

Virginia Christiansen
White Plains, New York