VIrginia, and others regarding reading difficulties due to PD or otherwise;
The addition of a flatbed scanner to a computer can make it possible to scan
in each page of a book, magnify it, brighten it,  change the color or
typeface, or even convert it to speech,  I have seen scanners on sale for as
low as $40-60, or even free with a computer purchase.  You could probably do
all but the conversion to speech, with the software that comes with your
computer. I believe you can buy a copier with the ability to enlarge to at
least 4 times the size of the original, for a few hundred dollars.
This makes it possible to read your OWN books and not have to replace them
with large type versions.  There are also machines used in schools, etc,
called overhead projectors, that project pages in a book onto a large screen,
or wall, several times the size of the original. One other idea, is to get a
magnifier lamp, usually used by electronic technicians, with a flourescent
circular bulb around the lens. They magnify the image several times.
Ken B