David Rehm wrote:
> Mary Guyett mentioned that she was a urology advanced practice nurse.
> I was wondering just what types of urology problems Parkinson patients
> tend to develop.  I understand not all pwp's suffer the same
> symptoms.

A frequent cause of hospitalization among people with PD is urinary
tract infection. Often this is due to chronic mild dehydration. PD
medications, particularly Eldepryl, can raise the risk for dehydration;
also, many individuals tend to drink too little water because it's
difficult to reach the bathroom and unfasten clothing in time,
particularly when "off." Insufficient fluid intake can set the stage for
infection of the urinary tract, and repeated UTIs can be debilitating
and even fatal.

Dehydration can also lead to confusion, dizziness, behavior change --
exacerbating the PD symptoms. Fluid intake is of great importance to
people with PD, and I work constantly with my clients to find ways to
improve/maintain adequate intake.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy for Parkinson's disease
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique nutrition needs;"
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson'sdisease,"
J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/