31 Jan 2000 bbbPortland, Maine, USA
 from the desk of a Young-Onset PWP
and former Anatomy and Anthropology
Professor,
Ivan  M. Suzman
 (who is hopinng to catalyze
immediate funding ACTION)

********* ************ ************** ******** *******
A DRAMATIC SOLUTION  to the riddle of the
ORIGINS OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE:
Parkinsons Disease Viral Origin Now Likely

Dar Joe,

In the light of the latest ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease ) news,
I am more than ever convinced that PD is caused
by a  Human Dopamine Deficieny-causing, or "HDV" virus.
I first published the HDV theory on PIEN in early 1999.

Do you think many people in the research community saw it , Joe?

  I think prioritizing a massive and IMMEDIATE investment in
funding  researched dedicated solely to identifying a proposed HDV
virus should be THE top priority of the PD-funding community.

Lou Gehrig's Disease DEFINITELY involves a newly-named
virus, according to the tremendously exciting press release which
the French group released about two weeks ago. Bob
Martone and possibly Judith Richards posted this news
on PIEN. The newspapers had some mention of it.

Robin Elliot was VERY excited when I told him
about the virus found in the motor neurons of 17 of 19
 spinal cords in the bodies of Lou Gehrig's sufferers (post-morten).
Only 1 of 29  non-LGehrig sufferers showed the virus.

I would like to see that method applied to PD-cadavers
at the world's medical schools.  For example,
In Johannesburg, we had good records of PD
having characterized come of the persons whose cadavers are in
the Department of Anatomy at  Wiwatersrand
University, where I was an Assistant Lecturer
and a post-graduate student, when I began
my professional career in 1973.

Cadavers might be an excellent source for
some types of tissue work.

Do you have any comments on my theory that
PD should be caused by a yet-to-be-discovered
virus,  "HDV" , or Human Dopamine Deficiency Virus?

Anyone from PIEN wish to comment?

About one of the CSR citations:

Latchman D, Coffin S; Mov Disord 2000;15:9-17:
They discuss the use and choice of different viral vectors for
delivery of modified genes in treatment of PD.

This topic interests me greatly.  I wonder if the modified genes
 can be designed to compensate for the ravages caused
by a PD-causing virus.
Do they write about the CAUSE of PD, or only about
delivery of PD-repairing viral vectors?

Does anyone on PIEN know  these authors?

Please ask them to e-mail me at [log in to unmask], or
use this phone numer: 207-797-8488 (USA).

Joe,  I put a viral theory for PD on the PIEN list at about
this time last year.  My computer has had a memory
crash, and I cannot get to it now.

****  Can you, or anyone on PIEN, PLEASE e-mail my viral theory
back to me? My desktop won't get me to the PIEN
archives at the moment.

Does anyojne know if Alison Landes, or Margaret
Tuchman Foundation, or PAlliance,  PDF, NPF, APDA, PI, NIH (Udall)
 or any American funding source will make a COMMITMENT to
 research on the viral origin of PD?

Or any of the Canadian or overseas research funding sources?

I believe it is a slow virus, possibly like HIV/AIDS.  There is some
potential to speed the cures for  both PD and AIDS ,if enough attention
is
given to the search for my proposed HDV.

A second reference you listed also interests me:

Chaudhuri K et al; Mov Disord 2000;15:18-23:
Ongoing study since 1995 shows, even after excluding multiple
system atrophy (MSA) and progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP),
that prevalence of atypical, sporadic, L-dopa-resistant PD is
3- to 4-fold greater among Afro-Caribbean or Indian immigrants
to the UK than among the remainder population.

Joe, is this discussed in a viral-origin, or only in genetic framework?
Demographic factors are relevant.  A good example is the
demography of post-World War I swine flu-related meningitis, and
the appearance of Parkinson's Disease later, as seen in the
movie,  "Awakenings."

Best,

Ivan Suzman 50/39/36
:-))