Lobbying for more neurosurgeons

Greg Sterling correctly points out that to persuade surgical resident to
take up functional neurosurgery will take several years, by which times he
would hope that he causes will have been discovered and cures developed.  In
any event, he prefers almost anything to surgery.

 Bob Fink says the authorities are actually calling for a shrinkage in the
number of neurosurgical residents and are cutting back funding.  He says the
major metropolitan areasare well served but it's the outlying areas that
suffer.

Lang and Lozano in their NEJM review article (Oct. 98) pint out that by 2040
neurodgenerative diseases will surpass cancer as the number two killer the
year 2040 is well within the practice life of a person entering neurosurgery
today.

 I fear the authorities are being typically short-sighted in cutting back to
number of residencies.  What will they do when a real shortage develops?

Anecdotal evidence (my own case)

 1. My med cost has declined by C$12,000 per annnum
 2. My incarceration in a long - term care facility ha been postponed
indefinitely
 3. My quality of life has increased markedly
 4. The net present value of the med cost savings is C$63,000. Other saving
would at least double that.
 5. Persuasive, huh?!

Cheers,

Bill