Mikrobiyol Bul 1989 Jan;23(1):40-50

The role of viral antibodies in the pathogenesis of degenerative and
demyelinating diseases.

Irkec C
Gazi Universitesi, Tip Fakultesi, Noroloji Anabilim Dali, Ankara.

Serologic investigations were carried on samples of sera and cerebrospinal
fluid from patients aged between 6 and 67 years with degenerative and
demyelinating disease with the aim of determining the pathogenetic role of
viruses in these disorders. Increased titers of complement fixation
antibodies against the measles virus were detected in patients with subacute
sclerosing panencephalitis and multiple sclerosis, whereas high titers of
complement fixation antibodies against Herpes Simplex Virus Type I were
found in Parkinsonian cases. Demonstration of high titers of heterophil
antibodies in patients with Parkinson's disease seemed to be a significant
contribution to this matter. Although HSV type I and heterophil antibodies
were high in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, small number of
samples hampered satisfactory interpretation.