-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Ivan M Suzman <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: maandag 31 januari 2000 13:02
Onderwerp: Re: CSR FEB 00/ Funds for" HDV", proposed PD-CAUSING virus

>>Latchman D, Coffin R; Mov Disord 2000;15:9-17:
They discuss the use and choice of different viral vectors for
delivery of modified genes in treatment of PD.

This topic interests me greatly.  I wonder if the modified genes
can be designed to compensate for the ravages caused
by a PD-causing virus.
Do they write about the CAUSE of PD, or only about
delivery of PD-repairing viral vectors? <<

==========
Parkinson's disease is an obvious target for the development of gene therapy
procedures which could involve both the delivery of the gene encoding
tyrosine hydroxylase to boost dopamine production or the delivery of genes
encoding neurotrophic factors such as GDNF to promote the survival of
dopaminergic neurons. A variety of different viral and nonviral methods for
achieving such gene delivery are described together with the particular
advantages of herpes simplex virus-based vectors which have the potential to
deliver multiple therapeutic genes in a single virus vector.
==========

>> Does anyone on PIEN know  these authors? <<

Latchman, Professor David MA, PhD, DSc, MRCPath
Department of Molecular Pathology & Clinical Biochemistry, UCL
Professor of Molecular Pathology/Director of Windeyer Institute/Head of
Department
gene regulation in neuronal cells and in the heart; transcription factors,
gene therapy
transcription; neurological disease; Brn-3; Parkinson’s disease; heat shock
proteins

Coffin, Dr Robert MSc, PhD
Department of Molecular Pathology & Clinical Biochemistry, UCL
Senior Research Fellow/Honorary Lecturer in Molecular Virology
gene therapy; virology; herpes virus latency
gene therapy; HSV; neurological disease

>> Chaudhuri K et al; Mov Disord 2000;15:18-23:
Ongoing study since 1995 shows, even after excluding multiple
system atrophy (MSA) and progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP),
that prevalence of atypical, sporadic, L-dopa-resistant PD is
3- to 4-fold greater among Afro-Caribbean or Indian immigrants
to the UK than among the remainder population.

is this discussed in a viral-origin, or only in genetic framework? <<

genetic

Hans.