You could look in George Hillocks' Research on Written Composition IF you
and/or your administration puts credence in quasi-experimental research and
its meta-analysis.
For example, you'll find regarding "duration of treatment" that some short
bits of work on writing have a noticable impact on student writing and some
don't; and some extensive work on writing has not noticable impact while
other work does. For many people, this is counter-intuitive. More is not
necessarily better. It seems that WHAT happens during the writing
instruction is more important.

You'll also find that Hillocks attempts to bring together the research on 4
different approaches to teaching writing, including "Presentational." His
criteria for including studies is so strict that very few Presentational
studies survive the cut. With that delimitation, the "Envirnonmental"
method--which you cannot do in a large lecture hall--wins out by a wide
margin over "Presentational."

This may be some of what you are looking for.

Jim Bell
Coordinator, Learning Skills Centre
University of Northern BC
3333 University Way