John is asking a very interesting question.

From the point of view of most of the research literature on writing,
lecturing about writing is an inefficient way to assist students.  it
doesn't promote interaction; it doesn't support collaboration; it doesn't
assist in the development of all four modes of using language--writing,
speaking, listening and reading; and it often leads to a pretty "arid' way
of dealing with language.  Lecturing about writing is sort  of like
lecturing about swimming.

However, I am in a situation where I have to lecture about writing.

So what follows is not a defence for lecturing about writing, but an
explanation as to why this practice exists and what I am trying to mitigate
the most serious problems I see in this practice.

1. I think this practice exists especially in Canada as we often lack the
infrastructure for a fully developed workshop approach.  for example, I
teach in program where grad students assume responsibility for the 2 hour
workshop that is part of the course.  but they  often come in with no
training in teaching and no background in the teaching of writing.  In
effect, the lecture and the 2 hour meeting that I hold with them every week
are both designed to teach them how to teach and the kind of approach that I
want them to adopt.  I would love to work in program that required grad
students to take a course in teaching writing prior to actually becoming
involved in teaching--but that's not about to happen soon.

2.  In my university, because TA's are involved, the course can lack ethos
without the instructor being seen to have a leading role. I hate this fact
of life--but for a dramatic example of this situation--check on Bourdieu's
account of the lecture and his insight that students crave the lecture
experieince and see it as the essence of the university experience.

How to mitigate?
    Turn the lecture itself into as much a workshop as possible--ie lots of
activities
    Move the lecture into a web site and gradually wean the students from
the lecture to the website--a dream at present, I know.

Sorry gotta run--workshop time with my TA's.