You've all heard of the rule of thumb, i.e., mustn't beat your wife with a
stick larger in circumference than your thumb.  Was this a legal rule or an
urban myth?  Some years ago this question was debated at some length (I
believe on a history discussion list), and, as far as I could tell, no
consensus was reached by the debaters. I was and am skeptical, but others
seem sure that such a rule was operative in early modern England.

Yours, Bill Godshalk

*    W. L. Godshalk                                                          *
*    Professor, Department of English              *
*    University of Cincinnati                                             *
*    Cincinnati OH 45221-0069                   *   Stellar Disorder
*
          *