This question is raised so frequently on the Women's Studies List (WMST-L),
that the list owner has posted the discussion on the web as an FAQ:

http://research.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/ruleofthumb.html

The notion is certainly around in the 18th century (Blackstone's
Commentaries 1775) and perhaps earlier.  You will find on that page
references to legal cases and relevant articles.

Amelia Carr
Allegheny College