From: Alan Baragona [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 6:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "Apis skinns"?

Possibly, but how many apes did Richard and later monarchs keep, and would
something that rare really have been made available to guildsmen from the
north?  I do think, however, that the presence of apes in England, as well
as their frequent iconographic use in manuscripts, makes it more likely that
even rural communities were familiar with apes and would have recognized a
cloth costume intended to look like ape skin.