At 12:44 PM 2/16/00 -0500, Alan Baragona wrote:
>Well, the Norwich inventory does pair "apis skinns" with an "angel cote,"
but I
>took it to be a contrast.  Perhaps not.  That's a very interesting
possibility.

>Alan B.

I tend to agree with Larry that these over-hose might have been used to
give the angel's legs a shaggy appearance. It doesn't seem likely that this
entry contains a contrast of costume items. If one looks at David
Galloway's  _REED: Norwich, 1540-1642_, one will find a number of other
pairings of cotes and hose in the same 1565 (I think) inventory for the
Grocers, which seems to suggest these were sets of costume pieces.

Gloria Betcher
Dept. of English
Iowa State University
206 Ross Hall