On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Alan Baragona wrote:
> ...  one item is "an angell's cote and over hoses of apis skinns."
> I couldn't find anything in the OED about "apes' skins," and I
> don't know offhand where else to look.

     Could this be the scribe's feeble attempt at a pun?  Over-hoses sound
like buskins, which are worn over the hose, and apis is Latin for "bee".
It's pretty far-fetched, but at least an alternative to "apes".

William Ingram       Professor of English       The University of Michigan
3058 Tisch Hall     Ann Arbor MI 48109-1003       e-mail: [log in to unmask]
phone (departmental) 734 764-6330          fax (departmental) 734 763-3128