                From:   Dr Margaret Mary Raftery [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
                Sent:   Monday, February 21, 2000 3:27 AM
                To:     [log in to unmask]
                Subject:        Re: "Apis skinns" yet again

                Is it remotely possible that the "apis skinns", whatever their
                composition, were intended to be made into wings, rather than
                undergarments (since "hose" is apparently mentioned separately)?
                Very tentatively,
                Margaret

                Andrzej Dabrowska wrote :
                A quick look into the "Lexikon der christlichen Ikonographie"
(s.v. Engel)
                has taught me the following:
                Angels were not made in birds' likeness; they are never depicted
as
                bird-like, but more and more as humans of the time of depiction.
The first
                flying angel is noticed in the 4th c., through the centuries two
main
                species show up: the winged (including flying heads) and the
wingless.
                Although there is a picture of an angel as a winged athlete, as
a rule you
                don't see much of their uncovered body except their extremities.
Why should
                their undergarment be of much sophistication, then?
                > or "apis skinns" simply means something else.
                Maybe a sort of textile with a special texture, they use to be
called
                phantasy-names like fustian or the like?

                Dr Margaret Mary Raftery
                English Department, U.O.F.S.,
                P.O. Box 339, Bloemfontein, 9300, South Africa.
                + 27 51 4012336 / 2275