                From:   Abigail Ann Young [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
                Sent:   Tuesday, February 15, 2000 12:02 PM
                To:     [log in to unmask]
                Subject:        Re: "Apis skinns"?

                I forwarded the original message from Alan to JoAnna Dutka, who
is the
                Norwich pre-1540 editor for REED, but there hasn't been time for
                reply from her yet.

                Meantime, I wonder if there is any possibility that these 'ape
skins'
                could be costuming for demons/devils? I looked up 'ape' in the
OED and
                discovered a proverbial expression about the Devil being God's
ape.
                Could be widespread enough that it might cause devils to be
costumed
                so as to suggest apes?

                Just a thought....

                Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early
English Drama/
                Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada
                Phone (416) 585-4504/ FAX (416) 585-4594/ [log in to unmask]
                List-owner of REED-L
<http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/reed-l.html>
                http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/reed.html => REED's home page
                http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/stage.html => our theatre