I will leave the "apis skinns" to others who may have more information,
but with regard to the leather used to simulate nakedness: it was not
tanned leather, but tawed (whiteleather, soft, as used in gloves, and not
made by the same guild). The difference is explained in my _Technology,
Guilds, and Early English Drama_, but one important thing (in addition
to the suppleness that would make it suitable for body stockings) is that
"whitleder," as it is called in the Coventry records, could be dyed to
simulate wounds for the crucifixion, Last Judgment, etc.

Clifford Davidson
The Medieval Institute
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI 49008