A means of measuring facial expressions and a method for predicting emotion
categories in clinical disorders of affect.

In a radical departure from traditional approaches, it was found that only
seven measures of facial expression are required to accurately distinguish
between normal displays of happiness, sadness, fear, disgust, surprise and
anger.

Using these prototypical emotion categories it has been shown that
particular facial areas in Parkinson's disease (PD) are responsible for
communication of blended, rather than the intended expressions.

We consider how assessment of facial expressions made in this way can be
used to quantify progress of therapeutic intervention in PD.

We also show that in gaining a better understanding of the structure of
emotion categories, advances in understanding need not be overshadowed by
methodological complexity.

The simplicity of the approach presented here leads us to propose that the
perceptual and behavioural aspects of affective disorders can now be
tackled in a unified manner.

J Affect Disord 1999 Oct;55(2-3):179-85
Benson PJ
University Laboratory of Physiology, Oxford, UK.
PMID: 10628887, UI: 20092509

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/>

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0