Last summer when the PPAA was crossing the country to raise awareness about
PD and money for research, I was in charge of organizing both an educational
seminar as well as a day of "fun" to celebrate the team coming through
Chicago.  I contacted both via phone as well as visited most of the support
groups around Chicago to invite them to participate.  The team was to be
kayaking into Chicago via the Chicago River and our party (the fun day) was
scheduled right on Michigan Avenue - next to one of the bridges crossing the
River.  My idea was that members of each group from the area meet on that
day - with signs, placards, etc., individualized by each group with their
own messages of welcome to the team - at the River to have a huge welcoming
committee with a parade across the bridge to our party area.  This would
have been a TV event (I had  two of the networks very interested in filming
it for their newscasts that day) for PD patients and their families on that
Sunday.  As of the Friday prior to the weekend's events, NOT ONE of the
groups was planning on participating so I had to call the networks to cancel
their crews.  Additionally, notices and invitations were sent to all
members/readers of the PDF News inviting them to the Saturday educational
seminar and the Sunday day of fun.  We had a TOTAL of 34 tickets sold for
the Sunday event which included a chefs' tasting (with chefs from 9 area
restaurants preparing and serving their specialties - and EACH of the chefs
donated not only their time but all their foodstuffs), a Puttin' for
Parkinson's booth (with a donated putting green designed and built just for
us by a local golf club), magicians and three bands (who each donated their
time).  Luckily, we had enough walk-by traffic on Michigan Avenue to carry
the day.  Maybe I just didn't go about contacting/encouraging participation
of the local support groups in the right way.  I'd love to learn how.

Jeanne Lee-Rosner
PDF-Chicago