Strange, my directions definitely say to avoid the carotids, but the
cervical spine is a large area - even if it does not seem to be. I have
forgotten who started this string, but it could be solved if he/she
spoke with their doctor. Have to anyway to get a prescription anyway.

When my shoulders hurt, I usually just rub them. ( My doctor calls that
motion the "neck acher's  salute." )

Nita