-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Chris van der Linden <[log in to unmask]>
Aan: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Datum: dinsdag 1 februari 2000 18:19
Onderwerp: Re: Weight changes in PD

>> See article:

"Low body weight in Parkinson's disease" by Jankovic J, Wooten M, van der
Linden C and Jansson B.
Southern Medical Journal Vol 85;1992: 351-354 <<

South Med J 1992 Apr;85(4):351-4

PMID: 1566133: Low body weight in Parkinson's disease.

Jankovic J, Wooten M, Van der Linden C, Jansson B
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, University of Texas
System Cancer Center, Houston 77030.

Low body weight is a characteristic symptom of Parkinson's disease (PD), but
the mechanism is unknown. To determine whether bulbar involvement is
responsible for the weight loss, we compared the mean body weight (MBW),
height, and body mass index (BMI) of 281 patients with PD and 86 patients
with progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP). Although the patients with PSP
had significantly worse dysphagia and dysarthria than the patients with PD,
their MBW and BMI were not appreciably different. We conclude that bulbar
dysfunction is not the reason for weight loss in PD.