I started on SSDI about 2 years ago at age 45.  I actually had no difficulty in applying or being accepted.  The key is your doctor.  Make sure he has dealt with SS prior and knows how to convey disability to them.  You don't really need an attorney unless you get to the hearing stage.  Be sure to fill out the forms in DETAIL.  Describe the difficulties you have with personal hygiene and dressing in depth.  If you have cognitive problems mention it whenever you can get it in.  Of course describe your physical limitations.  If it's true make sure that you explain that both sides of your body are affected.

Check out my website at below url:
http://pd_ssdi.homestead.com/ssdi.html

Greg
47/35/35