From: Robert A. Fink, M. D. <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, February 11, 2000 7:48 PM
Subject: Viruses and MS/Parkinson's

A week or so ago, there was a series of postings (I think that
Ivan was
the main poster) about the possible relationship between viruses
and
the cause of Parkinson's disease.  This logic was also extended to
multiple sclerosis by others, and the Human Herpesvirus-6 (HHV-6)
was mentioned prominently.  At the time, I urged caution regarding
some sweeping comments which were being made on this List
regarding this material.

I asked my Medical Library to access some articles on the issue,
and I
found an excellent Guest Editorial, which appeared in the Journal
of
NeuroVirology (1998) 4, 471-473.  The Editorial is entitled,
"Association of human herpesvirus-6 and multiple sclerosis: here
we
go again?", and the author is Dr. Steven Jacobson, Chief of the
Viral
Immunology Section, National Institutes of Neurologic Disorders
and
Stroke, in Bethesda, Maryland.

Table 1 reports the huge number of viruses which have been
implicated in the past concerning multiple sclerosis.  These
include:

Rabies     1946, 1964
Herpes simplex    1964
Scrapie agent    1965
"Multiple sclerosis associated agent"    1962
Parainfluenza 1    1972
Measles    1972
Simian virus 5    1978
Canine distemper virus    1978
Chimpanzee cytomegalovirus    1979
Coronovirus    1980
SMON-like virus    1982
Tick-borne encephalitis    1982
HTLV-I    1986
LM7, MSRV (retrovirus)    1989, 1997
HSV-I    1989
MS1533 (retrovirus)    1994
HHV-6    1993, 1995

None of these agents have been proven as a cause of multiple
sclerosis or PD.

The last paragraph of the article reads:

The search for a viral etiology in MS has led investigators in
many
directions for so many years.  As presented in this editorial,
extreme
caution must be exercised in the interpretations of
virus-associations
and neurologic disease.  Will a single viral agent ever be shown
to be
involved in MS or will multiple viral 'triggers' be associated
with
disease?  If a virus is known to be ubiquitous, how can definitive
proof of cause and the effect be established?  In the absence of
such
proof, can anti-viral therapeutic strategies be rationally applied
in MS
clinical trials? [there is even less association with PD and thus
even
less indication for such therapeutic trials].  Would the failure
of such a
trial rule out a virus association?  There and many other
questions
remain unaswered.  Investigations to confirm or refute virus
association in MS undoubtedly will lead us into new areas of
neurovirological research where information is being acquired at
an
expanding rate.....

The entire article should be available at good medical libraries.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"