hi all

At 05:15 PM 2000/02/13 -0500, bill wrote:
>I Just read the latest digest and had some brief comments.
>W/O referring to who said what I submit PARKINSONS IS FATAl,
>you may die of complications of the disease but that is
>merely semantics. ...

if i take that a step further i get to:
life is fatal!
i could get run over by a truck tomorrow
i refuse to put all my worries and 'catastrophisings' into one basket!

>As well, it does affect your mental process, the most common
>problem being severe depression. Also short term memory loss,
>confusion, in my case compulsive obsessive behavior...Classifying
>PD as a purely physical degeneration would be a grave mistake. ...

absolutely!
i have always advocated eliminating the 'stigma' surrounding 'mental problems'
if i need help with walking there is no stigma
if i need help with depression there should be no stigma there either
it's all just brain chemicals needing some tweaking

>Did I mention dementia? To be fair, many of the mental problems
>come with prolonged use of the medications. Whether God is male
>or female, he or she saved me from 4 suicide attempts so I finally
>decided to stick it out till HE or SHE comes to get me...

good one, bill!
i'm glad to hear it!
s/he probably has some plans for you yet!

>Getting back to fatality and pd, I think you get a taste of
>death the day you're diagnosed...

i think i know what you mean
i felt like i had been given 'a death sentence'
but in fact as i look back on it now, i find i was mistaken
that sensation was due to the shock and the fear and the ignorance...
all gone now, i am grateful to be able to say

>Strangly enough I've often commented that the main problem
>with PD is it doesnt kill you fast enough. It comes as no shock
>to people when you finally pass on.  THey don't see the years
>you've lost of "Normal" life...

i dunno about that word 'normal'
it's sort of like 'average' and other 'statistics'
i don't think they exist as real live breathing people

i know that it can be hard to get over a perceived loss
but looking backwards is a heck of a good way to get run over by a truck!

loss is only one aspect of the impact pd has had on me
it has also made me sit up and take notice and do some prioritising
which has resulted in my discovery of and passion for writing
which was all part and parcel of my discovery of and passion for this medium

i still get shivers when i think of all of us on this planet
becoming 'used to' the idea of instant communication on a one-to-one basis

i have no idea what's going to happen next
but i can't wait to find out!

with love

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0