From: janet marie paterson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 2:51 AM
Subject: PMID: 10661654: Adult nutrient intake as a risk factor for PD

>Adult nutrient intake as a risk factor for Parkinson's disease.
>
>BACKGROUND: This population-based case-control study evaluated nutrient
intake as a risk factor for Parkinson's disease (PD) among people aged > or
=50 years in metropolitan Detroit.

>METHODS: Cases (n = 126) were diagnosed between 1991 and 1995 and
neurologist-confirmed.

>Controls (n = 432) were frequency-matched for sex, age (+/-5 years) and
race. Using a standardized food frequency questionnaire, subjects reported
the foods they ate within the past year.

>RESULTS: Estimating the association between PD and risk of being in the
highest versus the lowest intake quartile, there were elevated odds ratios
for total fat (OR 1.94, 95% confidence interval [CI] : 1.05-3.58),
cholesterol (OR 2.11, 95% CI: 1.14-3.90), lutein (OR 2.52, 95% CI:
1.32-4.84) and iron (OR 1.88, 95% CI: 1.05-3.38).

>CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest an association of PD with high intake of
total fat, saturated fats, cholesterol, lutein and iron.