From: janet marie paterson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 8:56 AM
Subject: PMID: 10656512: Visual contrast response functions in PD

>Visual contrast response functions in Parkinson's disease:
>evidence from electroretinograms, visually evoked potentials and
psychophysics.

>OBJECTIVES: Visual contrast detection thresholds and suprathreshold
contrast discrimination thresholds were compared to luminance and
flash/pattern electroretinograms (ERG) and visually evoked potentials (VEP)
in patients with Parkinson's disease (n = 31), patients with multiple system
atrophy (n = 6), patients with progressive supranuclear palsy (n = 6) and
control patients without central nervous disease (n = 33).

>METHODS: The stimuli were luminance modulated full-field (flash) or
horizontally oriented sinewave gratings (pattern), the latter having either
a low (0.5 cycles/deg) or medium (4.0 cycles/deg) spatial frequency.

>Stimulus contrast ranged from 10 to 80% so that contrast response functions
could be derived.

>RESULTS: Contrast thresholds were higher in the patients with Parkinson's
disease than in the control patients.

>Contrast discrimination thresholds were also somewhat elevated in patients
with Parkinson's disease.

>Pattern ERG amplitudes were significantly reduced in patients with
Parkinson's disease for the medium spatial frequency stimulus, but less for
the low spatial frequency and flash stimuli.

>CONCLUSIONS: Our results suggest that Parkinson's disease impairs contrast
processing in the retina.

>VEP amplitudes did not significantly differ between the groups for the
conditions tested.

>Patients with progressive supranuclear palsy also showed impaired contrast
perception and reduced ERG amplitudes, whereas patients with multiple system
atrophy were less impaired.

>Clin Neurophysiol 2000 Jan;111(1):66-74
>Langheinrich T, Tebartz van Elst L, Lagreze WA,
>Bach M, Lucking CH, Greenlee MW
>Neurologische Universitatsklinik, Universitat Freiburg, Germany.
>PMID: 10656512, UI: 20120305
>
><A
HREF="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/">http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMe
d/</A>