Susan, this is  Audrey one of your *southern Washington* neighbors. I hate
to take exception to some of your statements but I can not sit here and not
say anything to dispute some of these. I can't speak about all you quote
because I am not directly involved with those in school anymore. I can speak
for tracking children in this state. For the life of me, I do not see a
problem with this or do I see it happening either. I have grand children
here and I had children here and it didnt happen that I was aware of. Yes,
there are those who may or may not *visit* after one comes home from the
hospital with a new baby. To me that is a courtesy and a help to an often
uncertain new parent. Mostly this *tracking* is a way to figure out the
direct needs of the families and their children in the state's population.
I would expect any state would have a simlar need to know how many children
would be at school age at 5 or ready for head start at 3. I cannot speak for
Mr. McDonald anymore than I am able to speak for my brother who is a
republican representative in legislature.  It isnt about our governor either
nor his wife or melinda gates is it? I feel they are doing a better job than
we have had for many years.  I do know why they went to China to visit their
relatives : it is much as we would visit ours isnt it? As for Melinda Gates,
the Gates Foundation has given many dollars to furnish computers and help to
children who are underprivledged so as to bring them into the world of
internet. I think that they could have done nothing; spent or saved their
money as they wished.  Instead,  their foundation is giving it to ideas that
the two of them believe in and that is more than some might choose given
this wealth.