Please remove from list, thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert A. Fink, M. D.
Sent:   Wednesday, February 09, 2000 6:50 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: New Research -Spheramine

Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Rollin&Rosemary <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                New Research -Spheramine
To:                     [log in to unmask]
Date sent:              Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:21:53 -0500

> Titan Announces Corporate Partnership With Schering AG for Development and
> Commercialization of Novel Parkinson's Disease Therapy
>    As I read this headline I thought just another merger.  But as I
> continued to read I became more excited.  I will leave out all the
> preliminary verbage and quote the heart of the matter:
>      "Titan's product, Spheramine(TM), is a novel, cell-based product for
> the treatment of Parkinson's disease, which will utilize non-embrhyonic,
> human retinal pigment epithnelial (RPE) cells.  RPE cells produce
> dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is lacking in certain brain regions in
> Parkinson's disease.  The product consists of human RPE cells adhered to
> microscopic, inert matrices which allow the long term survival and
> function of cells that are implanted into the mammalian central nervous
> system.  Murine and primate animal studies have demonstrated the ability
> of a single treatment of RPE cells on microcarriers to significanatly
> reverse Parkinson's like symptome for the duration of the experimental
> evaluation, which was up to one year.

Please see the abstract which I posted here last month concerning the
recent meeting of the California Association of Neurological Surgeons
in San Francisco.  One of the major players in the implantation
research for PD spoke and said that the best research to date (he used
embryonic tissue) showed that the cells survived the transplant, but
did not make the patients better!  In fact, many of the patients with
dyskinesias *got worse* after implantation.  He concluded that
implantation therapy was "not yet ready for patients".

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"