Dear Brian,

You are describing the non-tremor form of Parkinson's disease, which starts
at a later age, usually doesn't show any tremor, progressive course with
slowness of movement and gait disturbance, not very effectively respondnding
to anti-Parkinson medciation and frequently requiring high doses of meds.
In addition, a higher chance of dementia in this patient group.

All these different characteristics in different patients is yet another
evidence that the cause of Parkisnon's disease must be multi-factorial.
Thus, a cure may be found in a subgroup of Parkinson patients, but not in
the other.

As a neurologist one should be aware of all these differences, one to
optimalize treatment and second to fully inform the patient and the family
about the course of the disease, treatment options, prognosis etc.

Chris van der Linden, M.D.