List members:
The following is a letter to the editor of my local newspaper
from 1994, the year my father died of PD complications and the
year after my brother was diagnosed with PD.  Bob Martone's
recent posting about a letter to NIH reminded me of this letter.

Some of the comments about fetal tissue transplants is now
outdated, BUT, with some minor editing the same letter would
apply to stem cell research.  Research is a continuous process.
Stem cell research evolved from those experiments in the early
1990s.

Bob, you or anyone else may use any of these comments you wish.
I stand by what I said then.  What I said is just as valid now.

Also --- the following quote from a posting a couple of days ago
makes a valid point.

 "Would the people who oppose the research refuse the cure?"
K-F Etzold

There are people that oppose use of animals in research but if
the doctor prescribes the approved medication or medical
procedure they accept it.

Paul Fahr
+++++++++++++++++
February 25, 1994

The Feb. 24 commentary by **** ******* brings up many valid
points concerning the conflicts of public policy and moral
issues.  There is one point, however, where her position on the
issue makes a moral judgment that is contrary to her position on
the other issues.

 Parkinson's disease affects thousands of persons in this
country.  There is no cure.
Progression of the disease can be slowed by some very powerful,
often hallucinogenic
medications but not stopped.  Unlike Alzheimer's or most cancers,
Parkinson's disease
is not a fatal disorder.  The patient still has their mental
abilities but due to an imbalance
in a part of the brain they slowly lose their ability to
communicate, lose control of their
bodily functions, and lapse into a "fetal" state.  They become
100% dependent on another
human being for their very existence.

  Research in foreign countries has shown that implanting a
minute quantity of fetal cells
into the affected part of the brain of the patient with
Parkinson's syndrome can restore that
person to a useful, productive life.  The results have been
profound and well documented.
The procedure has been the subject of a documentary on PBS.  The
actively growing
tissue from a fetus has proven to produce the best results.
Tissue from a more mature
source is not viable enough to reproduce effectively and benefit
the patient.

   You will note that the research has been done in foreign
countries, not in the United
  States where we have the best medical research facilities in
the world.  That can now
  change as of 1993.

 I respect your position on abortion and will not argue that.
What I question is your
apparent position that a fetus is an important human being but a
person 45, 50, or 60
years old is not important enough to try to find a cure for their
debilitating disorder--even
with a potential solution on the horizon.  A person with advanced
stages of Parkinson's has
all the characteristics of a fetus--they are just 50 or 60 years
older.  You apparently are
willing to sentence a formerly productive, breathing, feeling,
loving  person to life in prison
in his or her own body.

 Organ and tissue transplants have become an accepted method of
using human tissue
from a life that has ended to make the life of another human
being more fulfilled.  I hear
no outcry against the practice.  We do not question how the
donated organ or tissue
becomes available...be it by murder, accident, or natural causes.
We accept it as a gift
and use the resource available to save a life or make a life
better.

 The first step in research is seldom the final solution.  I do
not foresee fetal tissue
transplants as "the answer" to the problem.  The ultimate goal is
to determine exactly how
the process works so that an alternative can be found.
Transplants are only a step in that
direction.  The cure for Alzheimer's or other neurological
disorders may result.  Let's give
the doctors and medical researchers in America the opportunity to
solve the problem
without undue conflict.  You never know when you, your family, or
a loved one may
become the beneficiary.

 The brain is a terrible thing to waste---whether it is 6 weeks
or 60 years old.

Paul E. Fahr

++++++
The editor used the following headline: