This is a serious question to ponder: With all the space-age technology
available, and automobiles being produced about a hundred years, why don't we
have cars with auto-pilot features to take over when the driver has lost
control, for whatever reason, whether a sleep attack, or even a heart attack?
AND, I might add, why aren't cars built to withstand collisions with the
normal inhabitants of the roadway, including other cars, trucks, power poles,
trees, etc? They make them smart enough to call an ambulance or a wrecker,
why not use the technology to AVOID collisions,  and survive the unavoidable?
Why is equipment made available that could save lives, and then made an
option for extra  money?  Some examples: side airbags, anti-lock braking
systems, daytime running lamps, roll bars, SAFE tires, especially tires that
can run after a puncture. Adjustable pedals and seats to suit all size
drivers. Real bumpers, not styrofoam filled, plastic covered, appendages that
crumble from a parking lot bump?  a frame that keeps the car from folding the
occupants inside between sharp broken parts, requiring the "Jaws of Life" to
extricate them?  Cars now cost what homes once did in the USA, so the expense
is not a good enough excuse, and insurance premiums could be reduced if there
were fewer injuries and deaths.  So maybe when we take the blame for a
momentary lapse as a driver, we should shift the blame to the makers of the
vehicles?  Isn't it obvious that people who can't afford the more expensive
cars with all the safety features, don't deserve to be maimed or killed for
the sake of economy?  Police cars are usually heavy duty vehicles with
maximum safety features, imagine the same accident Greg had with a  typical
low-end economy sub-compact car!  The car companies have easy access to the
mortality rates for each make and model,  why don't we? Even a pack of
cigarettes has a death warning on it, why not the same for cars?  Any experts
in the car business out there who can (and will!) answer these questions?
 Ken "Just wondering......"