We've brought up a lot of questions on the ReQuip and Mirapex sleep
attack warning -- possibly there are no definite answers yet. It would be
great to hear from anyone who has more information. Some questions:
-  As the article that Judith reposted said sleep attacks could also be
caused by the sleep problems that come with PD itself. Do these drugs
aggravate the sleep problems or increase the possibility of sleep
atttacks?
 - Could the attacks occur equally in PWP not taking these agonists?
 - Does the dosage of the drugs make a difference?
 - Did these attacks occur early in the course of drug therapy? If you
have been taking these drugs say for a year or more, without such
problems, are you still considered at risk?
 - Does age play a role?
 - How common do researchers think this problem is?
A copy of the abstract of Dr. Frucht's article, in which this problem was
first discussed (Summer 1999) is below. It would be helpful if someone
could also post a copy of the Parkinson's Disease Foundation News article
(Fall/Winter 1999-2000) "Risk of sleep attacks with some PD medications
prompts stern warning from PDF."  (Sorry I don't have a scanner). As Dr.
Fahn suggests in the article we should discuss the risks and benefits
with our doctor, but I'd like more information, if possible first. The
article states that Pharmacia & Upjohn sent letters to physicians about
Mirapex, and SmithKline Beecham, manufacturers of Requip will be doing so
as well.
     In order to stay employed, I need  to drive. I've also found ReQuip
to be an effective medication for me. But I've also experienced first
hand the effects of an accident caused by a person loosing consciousness
at the wheel. Last summer my husband was in an accident in which his car
and 2 others were hit by a driver who said he had fainted while driving,
due to a known medical condition (he was legally allowed to drive). All
three cars were totalled, but thanks to the airbags, there were no
serious injuries. We are all aware of how incredibly lucky we were.

Thanks in advance for any more facts that can help us make informed
decisions.
Linda Herman
ABSTRACT:
"Danger of sleep attacks with pramipexole and ropinirole "
"Certain dopamine agonist drugs used to treat symptoms of Parkinson's
disease (PD) may trigger potentially dangerous attacks that cause
patients
to fall asleep suddenly.
A recent report revealed that eight PD patients taking either pramipexole
or ropinirole suffered sudden sleep attacks while they were driving,
resulting in car accidents. Four of the patients also suffered from sleep
attacks during meetings at work and phone calls. All eight patients had
normal mental skills, excellent driving records and no history of sleep
problems. At the time of the accident, they had been taking pramipexole
for
an average of seven months, but following the incidents, six patients
stopped taking their medication and two reduced their doses.None of the
patients then experienced any further sleep attacks.
Although pramipexole and ropinirole are effective treatments for PD
patients, they are known to cause drowsiness in some people. However,
sleep
attacks have not been previously reported."
Source: Frucht et al. Neurology 1999;52:1908-1910.