Hello Bob:
     I am 55/dx9 and take SinemetCR 50/200 4x day, Mirapex 1mg 3x day and Comtan 200mg 2x day.
     Both Mirapex and Requip have reported the adverse side effect of "sleep attacks."  However, if you do not drive a car or operate heavy machinery, the "sleep attacks" can be  managed.  Increase your protein intake with snacks of nuts (almonds are best), drink orange juice and take a nap once in awhile (beat the meds to it).
     Mirapex does alleviate much of my tremors, but the trade off is edema in the ankles.  I can control the edema with moderate walking and exercise of the feet, calves and legs.  Since an agonist is always recommended, you may want to try Permax a strong, steady agonist -with side effects- but it works at most receptors.
     As for your Sinemet dosage, it appears you are under-medicated...Sinemet CR only delivers 75% of the levodopa into the blood stream.  You could easily increase to 4x day.
     I just started the Comtan three weeks ago and I am working my way up to 4-per day.  Generally, no side effects, but not much in the way of symptom relief.  I do generally feel better, though.
     Good luck.
Stephan 55/9

>>> Bob Chapman <[log in to unmask]> 02/09/00 01:01pm >>>
I need some advice from anyone who may have had similar experience with
the following:
I was taking Mirapex (1.5 mg per day) titrated from .375 mg per day over
8-9 months. I developed swollen ankles and "sleep attacks" the next 2-3
months. I tried relafin for swollen ankle, didn't work. Dr. then put
ankle in a cast for a month, that didn't work either. I read on the list
where some were having similar problems be cause of Mirapex. I stopped
Mirapex (slowly) and swollen ankles and sleep attacks were gone, 4-5
months ago. Neuro thinks I am now under medicated because of increased
tremors, slower gait, minor balance problems and increased drooling. He
says I have two options, add requip to meds or add straight Sinemet and
increase Sinemet CR ( I now take 21/2 tabs per day, 50/200 Sinemet CR)
That's my only sinemet med
I am afraid Requip will have the same side effect of swollen ankles and
"Sleep Attacks" as Mirapex did.
What would you do?
Bob Chapman 66/60/55