Greg, You tell it with a HA!HA! but I bet that wasn't what you were feeling at the time!!!!! It still made me chuckle. Shirley
-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 11:28 AM
Subject: Attack of the SLEEP ATTACK

All,

Since there seems to be a lot of discussion re: sleep attacks I thought this story of my first attack may amuse some of the List members.  Although I'm sure not the serious ones.
I was working the midnight shift.  It was dark, with the probability of increasing light toward morning.  I was on patrol.  Guardian of my zone.  Protector of all that is good and right.  I cruised into the local mall about 1:30 AM looking for those who may attempt to violate my watch.  Just as I passed Sears it happened.  The last thing I saw before the attack was a female manequin in a summer print dress.  She was just staring at me with one of those "I wish I could talk so I could tell you what's about to happen to you" looks.  Too late.  I was "asleep" at the wheel.  Runaway cop.  I drifted right.  My head bobbing like a mechanical dog in a car in Los Lobos.  My left foot found the brake pedal, my right the gas.  I picked up speed, squealing tires, engine whining.  Then I hit the 4 inch, cement filled pipe which held the hanicapped parking space sign. Lift off !  We have lift-off !  After doing $6,000 damage to the city's police cruiser I cleared the pole in the air.  When I hit the ground I awoke.  Holy sh--!!!!
Where, what, how, why.  How do I explain this one?  I came to a screeching halt in the parking lot of the mall.  My supervisor heard the commotion a quarter mile away and came in screaming lights and siren.  I sat there in disbelief trying to prepare an explanation.  I used the one about the deer the time before so that nixed that one.  I told the truth as I knew it at the time.  I simply fell asleep.  It worked.  I didn't get fired.

Drive carefully out there.  Watch out for police cars.  The driver could just be a PWP about to suffer a "sleep attack."

Greg
47/35/35