On 19 Feb 00 at 16:16, Paul Lauer wrote:

> Camilla:
> Could you please tell me what your source is for saying that requip is more
> likely to cause hallucinations than sinemet. That's the first time I ever
> heard that claim.
>
> Paul H. Lauer

Hi Paul & Camilla,
I don't know if the likelihood of side effects is at all predictable.... I can't
find any reference that indicates requip more likely than Sinemet...

Hallucinations appear to be a possible side effect of most anti Parkinson
drugs.  Responses and side effects vary from one person to the next.

NOTICE: Web sites are intended to be used as an informational resource
only and should never be used to replace contact with your licensed
healthcare provider.

Sinemet...
Possible side effects: Confusion, hallucinations, nausea,
uncontrollable twitching or jerking.
http://www.pharmico.com/medinfo/Sinemet.html

Sinemet CR
More common side effects may include:
Confusion, hallucinations, nausea, uncontrollable twitching or jerking
http://www.healthsqr.com/rx/sinemet.htm

Requip
All Parkinson's patients should be informed that syncope or symptomatic
hypotension may occur more frequently during initial treatment and
hallucinations can occur at any time during the course of treatment.
http://www.parkinson.org/requip.htm

Requip
Hallucinations may occur, but are more common with other dopamine
agonists, not Ropinirole or Requip.
http://www.virtualdrugstore.com/parkinsons/ropinirole.html

Mirapex
Orthostatic hypotension - a drop in blood pressure when an individual
stands up - and hallucinations have been reported with Pramipexole or
Mirapex, although both more often occur in late Parkinson's disease.
http://www.virtualdrugstore.com/parkinsons/pramipexole.html

Tasmar
Tolcapone or Tasmar's most common side effects include diarrhea,
sleep disturbances, and hallucinations.
http://www.virtualdrugstore.com/parkinsons/tolcapone.html

However, we are all individuals with differing symptoms and differing
reactions to our unique (and again individual) regimes of pharmacotherapy.
It is important to remember that each patient has their own specific
Parkinson's Disease clinical picture and individualized, tailored treatment
is an absolute must.  If you experience hallucinations you should seek the
advice of your licensed healthcare provider.

All the best ............ murray