Subject:            Action request
   From:            Camilla Flintermann <[log in to unmask]>
       To:            [log in to unmask]

Friends-- others may have received this also, but I wanted to be sure
you
see it in case you are moved to respond---
Camilla
***********

Dear Living Longer and Loving It! Subscriber,

If you want to personally have a hand in speeding the
applications of scientific discovery for the sake of finding
cures to devastating disease that could strike you or a
loved one, here's your chance . . .

Currently, the National Institutes of Health(NIH) have
proposed guidelines that would hasten the day when
lifesaving benefits of stem cell research are available to
you and your family.

The guidelines are subject to public comment, however,
and it is important that you express your support for them.
Without hearing from people like you-individuals with a
strong interest in living longer and loving it--it is very
possible that development of stem cell research will stall.

A Bit Of Background . . .

Stem cell research, a recent discovery with
unprecedented promise for finding cures to cancer, heart
disease, Parkinson's disease, diabetes, spinal cord injuries
and many other life-threatening conditions, must receive
federal funds and oversight if it is ever going to provide
relief to tens of millions of suffering Americans and their
families, plus save the country billions in health care
dollars.

SCIENCE Magazine, the publication of the highly
respected American Association for the Advancement of
Science carefully weighs scientific discoveries over the
course of a year. Recently, the Association named stem
cell research "The Breakthrough of 1999," a distinguished
honor that capped off a year in which stem cell research
received strong support from a variety of parties including
a broad coalition of major patient groups, well over one
hundred professional organizations and societies, Nobel
Prize winning scientists, and leading ethicists and
theologians.

What You Can Do . . .

Take a direct hand in shaping your medical future. Say
yes today to NIH's proposed guidelines for federal support
for stem cell research. Urge family and friends to do the
same. It's that important! Comments are due at NIH no
later than Monday, January 31, 2000, but it is critical that
officials hear from you as soon as possible.

Commenting is easy and fast! Identify yourself and simply
say you are for the guidelines because: you believe NIH
funding of stem cell research will ensure that therapeutic
benefits for those in need will come as quickly as possible;
and, because you believe in having federal oversight of
this important new medical science, monitoring that would
not be possible without NIH's involvement.

Send your comments directly to NIH. Email:
[log in to unmask] fax: Stem Cell Guidelines at
301/402-0280; regular mail: Stem Cell Guidelines, NIH
Office of Science Policy, 1 Center Drive, Building 1, Room
218, Bethesda, MD 20892.

One last, important point-let us know that you have
responded favorably to NIH about the guidelines by
emailing us at [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your strong advocacy for healthy aging. To
learn more about stem cell research, visit the Alliance for
Aging Research web site, www.agingresearch.org. And
look for the Winter 2000 issue of Living Longer and
Loving It!, which will soon be out.

Thanks again!