The thalamic study was performed before the STN target became popular. So
the treatment of thalamic stimulation for Parkinson's disease is now
obsolete.

However, the importance of this study is the notion that stimulation works
better than lesioning and one might be tempted to apply these results to
other targets as well.

I am convinced that stimulation in STN or pallidum is far more better than
lesioning, but comparative studies with these targets have never been done.
I wonder this should be done.  My center would not participate in such a
study, because I don't want ot treat my patients with lesioning.

Greetings,

Chris van der Linden, M.D.