http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/2000-02/17/096l-021700-idx.html

Pro-Life And Pro-Hope

                  By Joan Samuelson

                  Thursday, February 17, 2000; Page A31

                  It is time for a fact check on rhetoric by Gov. George W. Bush's
campaign
                  and its allies attacking Sen. John McCain's support for fetal
tissue
                  research. I know what happened, because I lobbied Congress to lift
the
                  six-year ban on federal support for the research, which it did in
1993.

                  I care because I have Parkinson's disease. I fear that
inaccuracies spread
                  by Bush campaign spokesmen or supporters such as the National
Right to
                  Life Committee will misinform the public on the merits of this
                  research--and imperil one of my best hopes for a cure.

                  Listening to the sound bites--that McCain is a "liberal" and "soft
on
                  abortion"--one would assume the "fetal tissue issue" is, in fact,
an abortion
                  issue. It isn't, and it never has been, and many "pro-life"
legislators strongly
                  support the research.

                  Allowing research using fetal tissue does not affect whether or
not an
                  abortion will happen. A 1997 General Accounting Office study
confirmed
                  that longstanding guidelines prevent the decision to donate tissue
from
                  influencing the decision whether to have an abortion in the first
place. For
                  example, they prohibit tissue donors from deciding who will
receive a
                  tissue transplant and outlaw payment to women who decide to
donate.

                  What's more, the research has produced lifesaving results. Medical
science
                  has used tissue remaining from elective abortions for decades,
producing
                  such breakthroughs as the polio vaccine. In the case of
Parkinson's, the
                  ban delayed progress, but now the research is beginning to bear
fruit.
                  Scientists are confident an effective treatment using transplanted
cells will
                  emerge.

                  So the question the pro-life community has faced is: If remains
from a legal
                  abortion can save lives, should the tissue be made available to
                  scientists--or thrown away? When staunch pro-life senators like
Strom
                  Thurmond, Connie Mack and then-Majority Leader Bob Dole reviewed
                  these facts in March 1992, they voted for the research. Dole put
it most
                  memorably: Supporting the research was the "true pro-life
position." Every
                  time the issue has come up, Congress has supported the research by
large,
                  bipartisan majorities.

                  As for McCain, initially he was less supportive of the research
than
                  Thurmond and the others. In his first vote, he joined with some
other
                  pro-life senators who took a harder line, opposing any bill
containing the
                  research no matter what, on the theory that nothing positive
should follow
                  from an abortion.

                  Eventually, however, his votes began to join the pro-research
side. Why?
                  Because, he says, he simultaneously was watching his longtime
friend Rep.
                  Morris K. Udall waste away from Parkinson's in a hospital bed.
This
                  experience eventually drove McCain to accept the role of
Republican
                  sponsor of the nation's first Parkinson's research legislation.
With Sen. Paul
                  Wellstone--who watched both parents suffer and die of
                  Parkinson's--McCain led the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research
Act to
                  passage in 1997.

                  Nothing in this record suggests a pro-abortion leaning. The Udall
bill never
                  even mentions fetal tissue, which is only a small part of the
Parkinson's
                  research portfolio, but the Right to Life Committee attack links
the two and
                  concludes that McCain's support for the bill weakens his pro-life
                  credentials. That's a leap that can't be defended.

                  If McCain suffers politically because of this attack, the real
victims will be
                  millions of Americans like me--with Parkinson's, spinal cord
injuries,
                  blindness--who hope for a breakthrough in medical research.

                  The explosion of medical technology is offering new hope for
myriad
                  incurable disorders. In some cases, though, as with stem cell
research, new
                  ethical, religious and legal questions are raised, and Congress
will be in the
                  middle of the debate.

                  When that happens, Americans deserve the same thoughtful
deliberation
                  Congress gave the fetal tissue debate, sifting out simplistic,
sound-bite
                  conclusions and groundless accusations, until the core issues can
be
                  addressed.

                  The writer is president of the Parkinson's Action Network.

                           © Copyright 2000 The Washington Post Company

--
Charlotte A. Mancuso
For advocacy, medical, and other PD-related material, go to: