  This story is a humorous example of how important it is to recognize opportunity and act on it. You make a another good point that perhaps the hierarchy of churches need to reexamine their dogma and make their rules relevant to the 21st century.
  Joe, CG for Ruth, 68/10
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Linnea Proverbs
  To: Joe Thome
  Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 3:32 PM
  Subject: Re: God's will?

  I am reminded of a story we were once told in church by this discussion. I apologize for how I tell this, if it is not the exact version, but it was many years ago.

  A flood began to take the area. A man refused to go, saying God would save him. The water got higher and there was a last chance to get out by car. He still refused to go. The water got higher still, and a man in a boat came by, offering him a ride. Again he refused. When the water was so high he had to climb onto his roof, a helicopter came by, but the man would not budge, determined God was going to save him. The flood waters continued to rise, and the man drowns. He arrives at Heaven and asks, "God, why didn't you save me?" and God answers, "I tried. I sent a messenger, a car, a boat and a helicopter; it is you who refused to be saved."

  Is this what we are saying by refusing to allow research to be done with stem cells? There is no sacrificing of humans. Are we taking the "rules" of the church too far, the way it has been done so many times in the past? Jesus even had to correct those in the church doing the same thing. What are we proving by saying that saving a life is wrong?

  Linnea