At 09:28 PM 2000/02/26 -0500, you wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 15:15:44 -0600
>>To: list
>>From: sue weiler <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: dad again
>>
>>dear list friends,
>>i'm coming out of lurk again to see if you have any info that will help
>>my dad. awhile back someone offered something on excess saliva.  dad, a
>>PWP spits up copious quantities of what looks like a clear liquid.  it
>>embarasses and exhausts him and interferes with his everyday activities.
>>background--he is in a nursing home in milwaukee.  he walks with
>>a walker.he has a permanent feeding tube.  (the spitting up started
>>long before the tube.) five different doctors have been asked to do a
>>culture to see if this is caused by an infection.  none would do it.
>>gave us five different theories on what is causing it. we are leaving
>>to go there tomorrow.  any suggestions would be helpful.
>>thanks in advance, sue

hi sue

my understanding is that apparently excess saliva in pd
is frequently due to reduced swallowing action
and not due to increased fluid

i believe that some parkies have found improvement by chewing gum
which reminds/causes them to swallow more frequently

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0