Date:         Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:48:43 -0400
From:         Mary Rack
Subject:      Reply to Margaret Hayon

Hello, Margaret and David!

My mother, Louise (75/5?), has symptoms remarkably like David's.

...snip...

The breathing, swallowing and phlegm problems can all be addressed by a speech therapist.  There are exercises that can be tailored to the individual's level of functioning.  Mom used to do pretty well when the therapist was there, but was unable to concentrate and practice on her own.  She really needed someone to help her do that daily, and we unfortunately did not make it a priority at the time but are motivated to do so now!  There is also a special kind of x-ray test for swallowing difficulties, which can be analyzed by a speech pathologist, who can then make very specific recommendations to the speech therapist.

The phlegm can sometimes be helped by "breathing treatments" where some kind of mist is inhaled.  I'm not sure just what was in Mom's mist, but can find out for you if you like.  I think this kind of treatment falls under the heading "respiratory therapy".

Anti-anxiety medication seems to help the shortness of breath also.

We have been lucky in being able to talk to the neurologist's nurse very easily between appointments.  She has also helped immensely with coordinating PD care with the staff at the nursing home where Mom lives.  Do your clinics have anyone like this that you can talk with?

Hope this will be useful....good luck.

...snip...

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
a new voice: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/
613 256 8340 PO Box 171 Almonte Ontario Canada K0A 1A0