>i am no medico
>but after hearing about all of our varied experiences over the past four years
>i wouldn't be surprised if your father is suffering throat problems
>which might be directly tied in to parkinson symptoms
>
>thicker-than-usual saliva can sometimes indicate a lack of hydration
>[i have heard it described as 'ropey']
>
>if your father is having swallowing problems
>he could be chronically dehydrated, a whole other problem in itself
[not unusual in parkies or residents of long term care facilities]

janet is correct in my opinion

the thick phlegm is not comfortable in one's throat
this induces coughing it up and spitting it out

in extremis, it chokes some to death

it is perhaps better treated by peppermints which provide sucking
which brings saliva from under the edges of the tongue and this helps
to swallow all of the mess

which is not something that one likes to consider

my paternal grandfather had this sort of condition in extremis - per
my observation when caretaking for him. i was old enough to help him
during the night - as a last resort so to speak. i do not recall my
age at the time, but i was not required to do much - and i did not
like to deal with the phlegm

retching can be induced by too much effort to cough up long or large
'wads' chewing on ginger or sucking candies without talking about it
is best

hope you are not bothered by reading this
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz
mailto:[log in to unmask]