Hi Murr: I now know more about rats than I ever wanted to
know. Until I went to research your question, had no idea
there were so many rodent afficianados on the Net. Here
goes:

Sprague Dawley®
Outbred Rat Order Model #: SD
Color: Albino
Features: The SD rat is a widely accepted, dependable,
general purpose research model used in virtually all
disciplines of biomedical research including toxicology and
pharmacology.
Origin: Taconic SD rats were first obtained in 1970 from
the NIH Animal Genetic Resource. The NIH stock originated
from Sprague Dawley, Inc. in 1945 and has since been
maintained as an outbred closed colony. To maintain genetic
continuity with the SDN:SD strain of NIH, Taconic
continually receives axenic breeder stock from the NIH
Animal Genetic Resource for systematic introduction into
Taconic's production colonies.
                      Rats, Carole

http://www.informatics.jax.org/external/festing/rat/docs/ZI.shtml