-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Murray Charters
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2000 12:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: driving restriction while on Requip

Hi Mike and Barbara,
I don't know of any ban and I called the Pharmacy and they have no info...

I have seen this post from my friend Judith ....
http://parkinson.ca/board/messages/165.html

I'm aware of this background info...

June 09 / 1999
Researchers Identify Potentially Dangerous Side Effect Of Dopamine Agonists
http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/1060BE.htm

July - 1999
Alert---Sleep Attacks Associated With
Pramipexole (Mirapex) And Ropinerole (Requip).
http://www.sd-pc.com/sleepalert.htm

02 / 14 / 2000
Anti-Parkinson Drug, Requip (Ropinirole),
Can Cause Patients To Fall Asleep Without Warning
http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/1647d2.htm

I found no references on Health Canada's site re: driving...
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Health Canada - Search on Requip
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb/drugs-dpd/company/c6992.html

SmithKline Beecham's site (US) has no info restricting driving...
SmithKline Beecham on Parkinson's / Requip
http://www.sbhealthcast.com/docs.cfm/home/parkinson
http://www.sbhealthcast.com/docs.cfm/Home/Parkinson/Requip

United States
Major pharmaceutical products of
SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals
(Scroll down to Requip)
http://www.sb.com/products/index.html
(US prescribing information)

On 21 Feb 00 at 14:49, Mike Stewart wrote:

> I understand that recently (Feb 2000) a ban on driving while on Requip
> (Ropinerole) has been instituted in British Columbia, based on a release
> from some "Canadian Health Bureau" dictum. Driver's liscences are a
> provincial responsibility in Canada, while health warnings are often
> issued by some National authorities.
>
> Can readers provide me a copy of the actual dictum as noted above?
> Can readers advise if a similar ban has been instituted by other
> jurisdictions in Canada, the US, England etc?
> Can readers advise if the use of Mirapex (Pramiprexole) has similarly
> led to a driving ban in any other jurisdiction?
>
> Your assistance and reply to both the list and my email would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
> Vancouver, BC, CANADA