Hi Kelly,

The need for sugary foods and beverages, in many
of us who are PWP's on this List (PIEN), and
my older brother's juvenile-onset diabetes, make
your  question very intriguing to me.

IN PD, in whch there is dopamine loss, there may be
adrenaline loss, because adrenaline is an end-product of dopamine
synthesis. Less dopamine may mean less adrenaline.

If adrenaline is low, insulin, which adrenaline inhibits,
may increase.  That increased insulin  could lower blood glucose.

Many PWP's report that they MUST have sweets or sugary beverages
or juices (including myself).  Some note that their medications just
don't
kick in with plain water.

Literature is available through the PIEN archives.

In May and June of 1997, I provided 10 brief messages
to PIEN, after surveying, on-line, a NON-scientific
sample of about 105 PIEN subscribers who responded, on the
presence of any diabetic relative in the families of PWP's
who are PIEN members.

I believe there is a slowly increasing body of scientific literature
on blood glucose levels and PD.  Some of it is from the UK.

Today I received a call from Maine Medical Center's Diabetes unit,
and was informed that selegeline (eldepryl) may be associated
with elevated blood glucose.  I have also read that sinemet (probably
the L-DOPA in it) is thought to have the same potential, of elevating
blood glucose measurements.

Ivan Suzman 50/39/36

:-)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:46:06 -0500 Kelly Grant <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Howdy Folks!
>Can anyone on the list tell me if any of the medications for PD and/or
>their
>symptoms have an effect on blood sugar levels??
>I am an insulin dependant diabetic on 3 injections per day and will
>begin PD
>in the March (next visit to Neurologist).
>I welcome any insight.
>Kelly in Calgary

 Ivan Suzman        50/39/36       [log in to unmask]      :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses           deg. F   :-)